Thursday 7 May 2009

...the social networking site says noooo?

A friend of mine recently joined a group on facebook which is a petition to have the photographer Alis back onto facebook. She was recently removed from the site because the material which she posted was deemed offensive.
Being the nosey git that I am, or should I say, “voyeur” I couldn’t help but take a peak at what all the fuss was about. So I went onto the artist’s website, via the link on the facebook group and had a good old gander. I was on there for a good 10 minutes, reading her blog entries, checking out the info on the artist and browsing the different sections in the photo gallery. In all of this time however, I did not find one single word, let alone an image, that I thought was anywhere in the region of offensive.
The thought occurred to me, that if I was having to work this hard to look for something offensive, then how the hell could her facebook have caused offence to anyone? Don’t get me wrong, you could tell that it was alternative photography you were looking it, it wasn’t exactly sunshine and lolly pops kind of pictures. But still, there were no bats being beheaded, or small virginal children being sacrificed.
So to me the fact remains that if I, as fully grow adult, would like to peruse some make believe photographs that could cause others to squirm, don’t I have the right to? And doesn’t Alis, as an artist that clearly has a fan base, deserve to exhibit her work on a social networking site like any other artist?
Obviosly there is the possibility of someone who doesn’t like the work, or even a child coming across it. But to be honest, it’s not as though any of the overtly offensive images was easy to find. So in my opinion, that’s more than ample warning to get off the page before you stumble across something you don’t want to.

1 comment:

  1. www.alispelleschi.com
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=76597450039&ref=mf

    ReplyDelete